- Town Departments
- Departments G-Z
- Tax Collector
Please note the tax office will close at 2:00 pm Thursday, June 8th.
Demands were issued 6/1/23 for unpaid 2023 commitment #2 excise bills. They are due 6/15/23.
Any unpaid FY23 Real Estate or Personal Property tax bills are past due. Please contact our office for an updated payoff amount.
As of 5/25/23, all unpaid 2023 commitment #1 excise bills and all unpaid 2022 commitment #7 excise bills must be paid through Kelley & Ryan, Deputy Collector. A link to their website is located on the left side of this page.
Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Bills
Excise bills are mailed throughout the year as we receive the information from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
- The excise bills are due 30 days from the date of issue.
- If you receive an excise bill for a vehicle you no longer own, please do not ignore it. You may be able to file for an abatement. Visit the Assessor’s page for more information. Please be aware excise bills should always be paid even if you are filing for an abatement. Bills that are not paid by the due date will be subject to interest and fees. If you have paid your bill, filed for an abatement and the abatement is granted, you will receive a refund if one is due.
- If your excise bill is not paid when due, a demand bill will be issued.
- If your demand bill is not paid, it will be sent to Deputy Collector, Kelley & Ryan Associates for collection. Once the bill has been sent to Kelley & Ryan, all payments must go through their office. Visit their website by clicking www.kelleyryan.com.
Please see the multiple options for paying your tax bill below.
Click here for more information regarding excise: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cispdf/Motor_Vehicle_Excise.pdf
Real Estate and Personal Property
Real estate and personal property taxes run on the municipal fiscal year and are billed quarterly. The due dates are as follows:
- 1st Quarter August 1st
- 2nd Quarter November 1st
- 3rd Quarter February 1st
- 4th Quarter May 1st
Options for paying your tax bill
- Mail your payment to the lockbox along with the remittance copy of your bill.
- Payments mailed to the lockbox must include the bill to be processed. If the bill is not included, payment will be mailed to the Tax Collector's office which will delay processing.
- Payments mailed to the lockbox must be received on or before the due date in order to be processed. Late payments will be mailed to the Tax Collector's office for processing and will accrue interest.
- Leave your payment in the payment drop box at Town Hall.
- Pay online through Unipay. The link is located on the front page of the website and also on the left side of this page.
- You may come into Town Hall. Please note only check and cash payments are accepted.
- Mail your payment along with the remittance copy of your bill to Town Hall.
Lockbox payment processing
Eastern Bank processes excise, real estate and personal property tax payments.
The mailing address for payments:
P.O. Box 462, Reading, MA 01867-0862
Please mail your payment, along with the bill, to the lockbox address on your bill.
- Payments sent to the lockbox must include a bill to be processed.
- Your payment will be processed on the day it is received providing the corresponding bill or bills are included.
- Checks arriving after the due date, without the corresponding bill or bills, including checks sent from your bank using a bill pay service, are NOT processed through the lockbox and will be mailed to the Tax Collector’s office at Town Hall. This will delay the payment processing.
If you use a bill pay service through your bank, please DO NOT send payment to the lockbox.
Payment Drop BoxDrop box for payments is located to the right of the front doors of the Town Hall.
Please send letter of request to:
Tax Collector. 4 School Street. Merrimac, MA 01860.
Include the following information:
- Property address
- Current owner
- New owner, if applicable (when the MLC request is for a sale)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Please note we do not use any type of overnight services such as FedEx or UPS to return the MLC.
- Check for $25 made out to the Town of Merrimac (fee amount is the same for residential and commercial properties)
Please make sure the request is made in a timely fashion. The Collector has 10 days to furnish the MLC beginning with the first full day after written submission of the request is received, excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
2023 Rate $14.77 per thousand
View the Historical Tax Rates.
View the yearly Breakdown of Tax Rates through the Archive Center.